SPIKED COLD BREW PRODUCT INFORMATION
What is Cafe Agave Spiked Cold Brew?
Cafe Agave Spiked Cold Brew Coffee is a, first of its kind, blend of real coffee and alcohol served in a convenient ready to drink, single serve format.
It is a unique formulation of alcohol, real dairy cream, cold brewed coffee, agave syrup and other natural sugars & flavors.
Our alcohol base is a 12.5% ABV kosher grape wine.
We use 100% Arabica, Dark Roasted Cold Brewed Coffee.
It is naturally gluten free.
From our dairy farmers in WI to our coffee roasters in RI, all of our ingredients are hand selected for their quality. These trusted partners help us to make the very best product on the market.
What flavors does it come in?
- We currently have Four Flavors: Espresso Shot, Caffe Mocha, Salted Caramel and Vanilla Cinnamon.
- Espresso Shot: A perfectly blended espresso brew made from premium, dark roasted, arabica coffee, real dairy cream & agave syrup.
- Caffe Mocha: The silky, smooth flavors of mocha made with premium dark roast arabica coffee and the rich flavors of pure cocoa.
- Salted Caramel: The perfectly balanced, classic flavors of natural sea salt and caramel blended with premium, dark roast arabica coffee.
- Vanilla Cinnamon: The rich flavor of creamy vanilla and toasted cinnamon blended with premium dark roast arabica coffee.
HOW MUCH CAFFEINE IS IN EACH SERVING?
- There are approximately 38mg of caffeine per serving (can).
- This is equivalent to about ½ of a cup of coffee.
HOW MANY CALORIES ARE IN EACH SERVING?
- Per 187ml serving:
- 279 calorie
- 23 grams of carbs
- 16 grams of sugar
- About ½ of these calories are derived from the alcohol (138 calories).
IS THE CAFFEINE ADDED?
- No, all caffeine in our products is derived naturally from our ingredients.
- The Difference: Natural Vs Synthetic/Added Caffeine.
- Brewers, distillers and wine makers have successfully used coffee, chocolate and tea to add interesting complexity and flavor to their products for decades. These three ingredients all contain naturally occurring (incidental) caffeine.
- In recent years, issues were cited with products that added synthetic energy blends and artificial or pure caffeine (not from a natural ingredient source) to their products. A process that has no history, heritage or tradition in the art of fine beverage making.
- Regulations continue to allow products brewed or created from naturally caffeinated ingredients, like coffee, chocolate and tea to be offered to consumers for responsible consumption.
- Cafe Agave Spiked Cold Brew is made by blending alcohol with other natural ingredients, including cold brewed coffee.
- Cafe Agave keeps company with other reputable brands that contain naturally occurring caffeine from their ingredients such as Kahlua and Twisted Tea, as well as many well-known brewers offering Coffee Stouts & other interesting brews.
IS IT REALLY MADE WITH WINE?
- Yes, we use a kosher grape wine. In 2019, we will be converting to Agave Wine.
- It is neutral in flavor.
- Each 6.3oz serving at 12.5% abv is equivalent to about 1 glass of wine.
WHAT’S THE SHELF LIFE AND DOES IT NEED TO BE REFRIGERATED?
- The wine and real dairy cream are blended together through a proprietary process that creates a shelf stable product that does not need to be refrigerated. However, for the best possible taste and experience, Spiked Cold Brew should be enjoyed cold!
- The current shelf life is one year, though we are doing extended shelf life tests to extend it beyond that timeline.
WHY COLD BREW?
- Cold brewing is a method of brewing coffee over a long period of time (typically 10-16 hours) without heat. Cold brew coffee tastes less bitter than traditional hot-brewed coffee because cold brew has approximately 67% less acidity than hot-brewed coffee, and cold brew can have up to twice the amount of caffeine.
- According to Mintel, a leading market intelligence agency, the cold brew sub-segment grew 580% from 2011-16. Total retail sales of refrigerated cold brew grew 460 percent from 2015 to 2017, generating an estimated $38.1 million in sales, according to Mintel’s research. Cold Brew sales have given a huge boost to US coffee demand. Cold brew was still a relatively niche market until 2015, when Starbucks introduced the drink in a number of stores; it is now available at all of its 13,000+ locations in the US. The trend further accelerated as brands like Dunkin’ Brands, Peet’s Coffee and Coca-Cola launched ready-to-drink cold brews – available for purchase in grocery and mass retailers across the country. It’s a coffee with both mass-market appeal and an indie credibility.
COLD BREW 101
DIFFERENCE BETWEEN HOT COFFEE AND COLD BREW?
- During the traditional brew process, roasted coffee grounds are soaked in hot water (anywhere from 170ºF to near boiling temperatures) for around 35 minutes. The hot water absorbs the aromas and flavors of the coffee grounds during this period.
- Espresso is similar, except pressurized steam is used to blast fine coffee grounds for around 30 seconds to extract (express) the flavors/aromas.
- Coffee beans have natural fatty oils and acids that are soluble only at higher temperatures. This is what gives black coffee the acidic bitterness or bite that most people associate with it and is usually counterbalanced with cream and/or sugar.
- Instead of relying on heat to extract the flavor and aromas of roasted coffee grounds, cold brewing utilizes time as the brewing factor.
THE COLD BREW PROCESS
- Rather than being made in 35 minutes at high temperatures, cold brew coffee is made over a period of 12-24 hours at low temperatures (room temperature or below).
- This process takes longer since heat is the catalyst in traditional brewing, but since cold water is being used (or rather hot water is not being used), the roasty flavors and aromas from the beans are gradually extracted, but the acrid oils and acids are left behind.
- This makes for a richer, smoother, and sweeter brew. The difference is actually so great, that people who never drink their morning brew without cream and sugar often find themselves drinking their cold brew black.
- The Cold Brew Process produces a smooth, rich coffee that is very low in acidity and naturally higher in caffeine.
COLD BREW CONCENTRATE VS. READY-TO-DRINK
- Cafe Agave Spiked Cold Brew uses a cold brew concentrate that is diluted with our proprietary alcohol and cream blend.
- We know that cold brewing requires coffee grounds to be soaked for a long period of time, but how much water should we use with how many ounces of grounds to get our desired product?
- You can either make cold brew Concentrate that can be stored and diluted when ready to serve, or you can brew it so that it’s Ready-to-Drink right out of the brew vessel.
DOES THE COFFEE MATTER?
ARABICA VS ROBUSTO
- Yes. We think it does. Cafe Agave uses 100% Arabica Coffee.
- Arabica coffee beans are far superior to Robusta in terms of flavor and quality. They are grown at higher elevations for longer periods of time giving the beans more time to develop their flavor.
- Robusta contains more caffeine than Arabica which contributes to a harsher taste. They tend to produce a higher yield and are used for lower quality coffee and instant coffee.
WHY WE CHOOSE DARK ROAST
- Dark roast coffee is commonly described as having an intense, full-bodied, bittersweet and bold flavor, largely due to the roasting process.
- Tastes converge towards chocolatey darkness, and there is less in the way of floral, berry, fruit, citrus. We think this bold and rich flavor is perfect for our spiked ready to serve cold brew.
- They are also lower in acidity which is one of the key benefit of Cold Brew as well.
WHERE TO BUY IT
WHAT FORMATS DOES IT COME IN?
- It is available for purchase in single 187ml cans & 4-Packs.
HOW MUCH IS IT?
- The MSRP is $3.49 per can or $13.99 per 4 pack.
WHAT STATES CARRY IT?
- Cafe Agave Spiked Cold Brew is currently sold in Nevada, CA, AZ, WA and OR.
- National expansion will take place in 2019.
- On-line sales will be available through select retail partners in March 2019.
WHAT STORES CARRY IT?
- Because Cafe Agave is wine based, it can be sold in accounts that carry Beer and Wine licenses only (vs Spirits). This means you can find it in local restaurants, grocery stores and convenience stores where spirits are not sold.
WHAT DOES THE NAME CAFE AGAVE MEAN?
- “Cafe” represents the products that we make – all things coffee.
- “Agave” pays homage to the agave plant our Southern CA roots. We sweeten our products with agave nectar in addition to other sugars.
- Founder Mark Scialdone and his business partner, Ami-Lynn Bakshi. Together, they have over 2 decades each in the Coffee and Alcohol businesses.
- Scialdone started in the coffee business in his 20s while living in Seattle, putting him right on the cusp of the American espresso craze just before Starbucks made its monumental splash. With knowledge about the coffee industry and the skill to train staff on coffee service in his back pocket, he moved to California and opened a chain of coffee houses and a roastery. Being so close to the source in a state dotted with wineries in every direction, he naturally developed a passion for wine. Scialdone took note that establishments without a full alcohol license were challenged to come up with offerings besides beer and wine that satisfied customers looking for a mixed drink. He began to look for ways to combine these two pursuits from premium sources. In early 2017, he launched Cafe Agave Spiked Coffee Creamers – “the adult coffee creamer”. However, he still felt there was an opportunity for something more.
- Scialdone’s business partner is Ami-Lynn Bakshi, a 20+ year marketing and innovation exec in the alcohol business. After leaving the corporate world in 2016 to start a family, she found she couldn’t shake the drive to build exciting new brands. She began looking for a new start-up venture in the drinks space to showcase her capabilities. She was introduced to Scialdone in 2017 during the launch of his Spiked Coffee Creamers. After a few months of working together, Spiked Cold Brew was born.
WHAT’S THE OTHER CAFE AGAVE PRODUCT WE’VE SEEN ON THE MARKET?
- Cafe Agave also makes a Spiked Coffee Creamer. It is sold directly by the company. More information is available via email at email@example.com
HOW CAN WE KEEP IN TOUCH?
Follow us on Instagram: @cafeagave
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
WHERE IS SPIKED COLD BREW PRODUCED?
Spiked Cold Brew is produced at: Cold Spring Brewing Co in Cold Spring MN